Special Materials & Procedures
Follow these procedures for special libraries serving limited
clientel usually in distant locations. The instructions below apply to both monographs and serials.
These libraries include:
- ave,mura Casa Muraro is a building in Venice, Italy that is
used by Columbia students studying Italian art. The Casa includes a 7500
volume library of works mostly on Italian art. Suppressed CLIO records are
created as the basis for a CD-ROM catalog for the Casa library. New
titles are not supposed to be added to this collection.
- egyp Dakhla Library is located in Egypt and serves Columbia
graduate and undergraduate archaeology students. The
collection consists of works on papyrology, Egyptology and classics.
Records for this collection display in the OPAC and are NOT to
- ewng Ewing is the name of Lamont-Doherty
Earth Observatory's research vessel. This small collection consists of
science and popular works.
- ital Staff at the Italian Academy are responsible for
cataloging a small book collection in CLIO for in-house use. The
materials are gifts from the Italian Government and are
not barcoded. Holdings records are suppressed. The bibliographic
record is also suppressed if it is the only active copy in the
- Materials for satellite libraries should be cataloged rush and can not
be backlogged. They should be cataloged regardless of other copies in the
System. A satellite library does not count when considering if an item is a
duplicate . They are NOT going to be bound.
- Materials will have a wide green "reserves" rider to prevent
unbound materials from going to the Bindery.
- Materials receive standard cataloging, using LC classification.
- For locations ave,mura, ewng, and ital
suppress the holdings record by placing a check mark in the "Suppress from
the OPAC" box on the MFHD System tab. Follow the procedure in
CPM-553. Do not suppress
holdings for location egyp.
- For locations ave,mura, ewng, and ital if this
is the only copy, the bibliographic record should also be
suppressed by placing a check mark in the "Suppress from the OPAC" box
on the BIB System tab. Do not suppress if this is the only
copy for egyp.
- Mark and barcode material as usual.
- Check out all items to the LABEL pseudopatron. BSP will check in
material and route it to the appropriate individual who will ship the items
to the satellite library.
Note: After egyp materials are labeled in BSP, they are
routed to Butler Collection maintenance. After discharging, materials are
routed to the Ancient & Medieval History and Religion Librarian to
the library in Egypt.
Return to CPM Table of Contents
Last updated: 06/21/10 ink