SETS WITHIN ANALYZED SERIALS AND MONOGRAPHIC SETS
Special Materials & Procedures
Follow these guidelines when cataloging a set for an on-campus location
that is itself an analytic of a larger "main" set or analyzed serial -- in
other words, a set title that carries its own numbering and whose issues
are also each separate numbers of a main set or serial that is also
classed together. (See
SCARM-704 for sets within a:off analyzed
For multivolume sets in which all of the volumes are within the same
issue/volume number of the main serial/set title, treat them as you would
any other multivolume work, with the exception that the call number should
include the volume number for the main series. See CPM document to come
for more information.
If you receive only one volume of a set within an analyzed serial or set,
you should follow these procedures and assume that subsequently-received
volumes of this set will have different volume numbers for the main serial
(Note: For the sake of simplicity and to avoid confusion, these procedures
will refer to the main analyzed monographic set or serial as simply
"serial" and to the multivolume analytic as the subset. Users of these
procedures should assume that all instructions are applicable to both
analyzed monographic sets and analyzed serials.)
- SERIALS OR MAIN SET RECORDS
- Add the main serial volume numbers to the 866 of the serial
holdings record as you would for any other serial volume.
- Serial coding: a:par or a:bw vs. a:all
- a:par or a:bw:
If applicable (See
link a new item record to
the serial holdings record with the main serial numbering in the Enum
field. See II.D.1. for detailed instructions.
Link the new item record to the subset holdings record. See
II. D.2. for specific instructions.
- SUBSET/ANALYTIC RECORD
- CLIO bibliographic record
- The main series (i.e. the serial title) should be entered as a 490
first indicator 1, as appropriate:
- The authorized series heading (which may be the same or different
as the form used in the 490) should be entered as an 830 with the
corresponding series numbering of the first volume, followed by ", etc."
Example: 830 0 |a Publications of the International Society
of Philatelists ; |v v. 37, etc.
- CLIO holdings record: 852 field
- In the 852 after the location code input main series call number,
plus the volume number for the serial for the first known volume followed
by ", etc."
Example: 852 0 1 |b glx |h HE6187 |i .I58 v.37, etc.
- CLIO holdings record: 866 field
- Input volume holdings:
- Each volume of the subset is listed individually, even if volume
numbers are consecutive.
- Use the subset volume caption term as on the piece following the
instructions in CPM-503
. If there isn't caption
term, do not use one.
- Follow each subset volume number by the corresponding main serial
numbering in parentheses with no spaces.
- Within the parentheses use the main serial numbering caption term,
unless the subset and the main serial numbering use the same caption term.
If both caption terms are the same, leave out the term for the main serial
numbering from within the parentheses.
- Separate each volume subset/main serials numbering by one space.
- If we don't have a volume in the middle of the set, do not add
extra spaces or any other indication that that it isn't there but just
skip the information about that particular volume in the 866.
- For both the subset and main serial caption terms, if one or both
are not abbreviated, add a space between the fully-spelled-out caption
term(s) and the corresponding volume number.
Subset and main serial use different abbreviated caption
866 4 1 |8 0 |a pt.1(v.37) pt.2(v.42) pt.3(v.50) pt.4(v.51)
Subset has no caption term, main serial uses abbreviated
866 4 1 |8 0 |a 1(v.37) 2(v.42) 3(v.50) 4(v.51)
Subset and main serial use the same abbreviated caption
866 4 1 |8 0 |a v.1(37) v.2(42) v.3(50) v.4(51)
Subset and main serial use different abbreviated caption
terms and we don.t have pt.2 of the subset:
866 4 1 |8 0 |a
pt.1(v.37) pt.3(v.50) pt.4(v.51)
Subset uses an unabbreviated caption term, main serial
uses abbreviated caption term:
866 4 1 |8 0 |a Heft 1(Bd.37) Heft
2(Bd.42) Heft 3(Bd.50) Heft 4(Bd.50)
Subset uses an abbreviated caption term, serial uses
unabbreviated caption term:
866 4 1 |8 0 Bd.1(Heft 37) Bd.2(Heft 42)
Bd.3(Heft 50) Bd.4(Heft 50)
- Input the following public MHLD note as the last 866 field:
(Macro: with the cursor at the end of the 866 field, [ctrl] [shift] b)
866 4 1 |8 0 |a To find on shelf, use call number and volume
number(s) listed in parentheses.
- 900 field:
Add a 900 field with the payment information for the serial, if
necessary. Often times this information is written on the T2.
- CLIO item record(s)
- Main series coding: a:par or a:bw:
- If an item records are to be created, link them to the main
serial record with the volume numbering for the main serial in the ENUM
field as you would for any a:par or a:bw serial (See
for more specific information).
- Add the following code/note at the end of the 852 of the subset
- If the main work is a serial: |x pas |z For circulation
information search the serial title. (macro: [short key] pas)
- If the main work is a monographic set: |x pam |z For
circulation information search the title of the set. (macro: [short
- Main serial coding: a:all:
- Attach items to subset holdings record.
- Add both the subset and the main set/serial volume information in the ENUM field as it is for the volume in the
subset 866 field, unless there is no caption term for the main serial volume numbering. If this is the case, add the
generic "v." as the main serial caption term even if the subset also uses "v." as a caption term.
Example of ENUM field, with subset caption terms taken directly from the volume(s):
Example of ENUM field, with no caption term for the main serial numbering in the 866:
(Note: This is the only instance where the subset and the main serial may use the same caption term.)
- Place a "BSP: To Be Labeled Manually" rider in the book, checking the first box.
Return to CPM Table of Contents
Last updated: 05/14/08 ink