Special Materials & Procedures
Note: See CPM696 for Atlases.
For cataloging procedures consult the Map Cataloging
Manual and Map Cataloger's
Toolbox as well as AACR Chapter 3.
OSMC has an excellent monograph in the departmental reference collection:
Maps and related cartographic materials : cataloging,
classification and bibliographic control, ed. Paige Andrews and Mary
Lynette Lasgaard, c1999.
Note: Until March 2004, "Shelved Geographically" was coded in 852
$z. Until June 2004, "Shelved Geographically" was coded in 852 $g. Change
these to $h on encounter.
Return to CPM Table of Contents
- Use the following procedures for the Lehman Map Room, Geology,
Geoscience, East Asian and Avery. If you have a map for another location,
consult a supervisor.
- East Asian CJK maps use LC classification. Avery maps use Avery
- The procedures below apply to flat maps and all Lehman Map Room maps.
Boxed and folded map sets (often accompanying a monograph), for
other locations are classed as usual.
- Assign an LC class number in the bib record 050 field.
- The location code for the Lehman Map Room is map.
For other locations consult CPM500.
- Code 852 8 $b [location] $h Shelved
Geographically for all locations other
than East Asian CJK and Avery
- Do not mark maps in any way.
- Barcode flat maps on the back righthand bottom corner if
one-sided. Double-sided maps should be barcoded in the bottom
righthand corner margin of one of the sides, or near the legend if
there is no margin.
- Code item type map Create a separate item record with
another barcode if the map is accompanied by a booklet.
- Do not charge Lehman maps to a status patron. Instead, call Jeremiah
Trinidad-Christensen to arrange for Lehman maps to be picked up. Maps for
Lehman are not processed by BSP. Lehman maps are tattletaped prior to
cataloging and require a special pass to be removed from Butler.
- Charge all other maps to In-transit.
Last updated: 04/26/11 kmh