Special Materials & Procedures
Note: AVR and FAR (Avery Classics) books 20 cm (8 inches) or
smaller receive size designation S in subfield m of the call number. S
stands for small.
- Books measuring 15 cm. or less in height are defined as "miniature"
by BSP. However, books measuring under 9 cm.
in height cannot be tattle-taped so they require a separate sub-routine.
- Miniature books are cataloged for the location assigned by the
selector (not GAX as was the practice for a long time) and they no
longer need special instructions for BSP.
- BSP routinely sends both hard-cover and soft-cover
books 15 cm. or shorter to the Butler Conservation Lab. to prepare a
protective casing when they are received from cataloging departments.
- After Conservation makes the protective case, the pieces are re-routed
to BSP for labeling, tattle-taping and stamping before
being sent to their final destination.
- Measure books if they appear to be smaller than usual.
- Book measures 9-15 cm.
- Process for the designated location as usual with the following
- Check out both hardcover and softcover to BIND pseudopatron.
- Place in interoffice envelope and route to BSP.
- If there is no copy available, process for Precat, and insert a
"B" rider. If the book is for ave/fax, consult a supervisor
as the book may be cataloged or backlogged in a larger envelope.
- Book measures less than 9 cm. and it is selected for GLX
- Catalog for glx4off (change location in CLIO if necessary).
- Affix a double-backed offsite barcode for hard and soft cover books
as if the item were a paperback. The barcode will be affixed in the
proper position by BSP once the protective case is made. If the barcode
does not fit, consult a supervisor.
- Check-out both hard cover and soft cover to BIND pseudopatron.
- Route to BSP in an interoffice envelope.
- If there is no copy available, DO NOT process for Precat.
- Change location to glx4off if necessary and add size in 300|c of
- Insert a red rider.
- Route and track to OSMC or if ave/fax route and track to original
- Book measures less than 9 cm. and is selected for Avery/Fine
Arts--Follow procedures above but do not change location to glx4off.
- Book measures less than 9 cm. and is selected for another location--
Return to CPM Table of Contents
Last updated: 07/20/11 ink