035 FIELD SUMMARY
Record Creation Procedures
This document describes the characteristics and management of 035 fields
in bibliographic records that have been imported or loaded into CLIO.
In most cases we want to retain the 035 fields with an OCLC record number that matches the number of the Master Record in WorldCat. This is where we expect to see "held by ZCU"
As of 9/15/2011 only the incoming 035 fields with the OCLC record number from WorldCat are retained when
an imported or merged record is saved in Voyager. Example:
All 035's that were present in an existing record will disappear once merged, while both of the incoming 035 fields with the different formats of the same OCLC number as above will be retained.
- All new Voyager records will eventually obtain an additional local 035 with the Voyager Bib ID. These should be retained and ignored. Example:
- Newly created catalog records in Voyager will eventually obtain OCLC 035 fields after they have been uploaded to WorldCat.
- Some records (mostly vendor supplied for electronic resources) are not uploaded to WorldCat and will not have OCLC 035 fields
Return to CPM Table of
- When cataloging a variant edition in Voyager, delete all existing 035 fields. The record created for the variant edition will become a new Master Record once it is uploaded to WorldCat and assigned a new OCLC ID number.
- If a record already in CLIO is used for copy cataloging and has multiple, non-matching OCLC 035's (perhaps from a batched Precat record or a vendor load) delete all 035's except for the two with the OCLC record number that pertain to the correct Master Record in WorldCat.
- If you are uncertain which 035's should be retained, consult a supervisor.
Last updated: 11/18/16 mdw