PROCESSING SINGLE VOLUME FRAGILES FOR OFFSITE
Processing Physical Items Procedures
Summary: Catalogers in different areas create cataloging
records for fragile material designated for Offsite. The final
processing for all fragile material is done in MRP.
Return to CPM Table of Contents
- Material will come to cataloging with a note on the T2 indicating
that it is FRAGILE.
- Volumes should be given any minimal physical preparation needed to
ensure their integrity during handling (e.g, if cover is detached, tie it
to the text block)
- All work on the bibliographic and holdings records should be
completed; i.e., MRP will need to work only with the item record.
- Single volume monographs should have the item record created, with
barcode and item type entered; item note should not be coded.
- Single volume monographs should have one copy of a duplicate barcode
affixed in the standard position (the copy with "Columbia University
Libraries" printed). The duplicate barcode should be partially affixed to
the top of the front cover, pointing up.
- If the volume was already barcoded with a single barcode, that
barcode should be deleted from the item record, and the new, duplicate
barcode applied over it.
- Return material to Zack if so noted on the T2 or place it on the
FRAGILES shelf in MRP if there is no return to Zack note.
Last updated: 09/07/11 kmh