NAME HEADINGS ON PRELIMINARY AND TRACKING RECORDS
- In CLIO, click the Search icon on the toolbar. If necessary, click the
Non-Keyword tab to display the Non-Keyword search screen. From the drop-down
menu in the "Search by" box select the Name Headings Search (Staff). Click
to select the appropriate type of name heading in the "Heading Types Filter" box.
Type the name you are verifying in the "Search for" box (in the form last name, first
name for personal names) and click Do Search.
- If the search results in no hits, re-search using the Subject Headings Search
- Search results are returned in the "Headings List" dialog box. Click the name to
- If "Authorized" appears in the left column, the name as it appears in the dialog
box is the authorized form. Click Authority and a new dialog box will open,
you to select the authority record (even if there is only one). If necessary, click
to highlight the name whose authority record you would like to retrieve and click
Copy and paste the form found in the 1XX field into your preliminary or tracking
- If "Reference" appears in the left column, the name as it appears in the dialog
box is a reference, not the authorized form. Click Authority and a new
Information" dialog box will open, showing you the authorized form. Click
to get the "Select one or more authority records" dialog box and then click OK
display the authority record and copy and paste the 1XX form, as above.
- If there is no entry in the far left column, there is no authority record in CLIO
for the name. Cataloging staff only (Acquisitions staff should proceed to
section IV below): open an OCLC session, select the authority file by typing cho
search for the appropriate name heading (e.g. sca pn, or sca co). If
there is an
authority record for the heading, copy and paste the 1XX form to the preliminary
record in CLIO.
- If you do not find the name in CLIO or OCLC, or if the search results in a long
list containing many authors, enter the name into the bibliographic record as found
on the title page (in the form Last name, First name for personal names).
Return to CPM Table of Contents
Last updated: 04/14/03 nep