REPORTING OBLIGATIONS DURING THE FIRST 12 MONTH OF OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING (OPT)
F-1 OPT regulations require students on post-completion Optional Practical Training to report to the ISSO any of the following changes within 10 days:
- Any change of your name or your residence and/or mailing address
---To report a new address, submit the Address Change Form.
---To obtain a new I-20 with any change of name, send email to email@example.com. You will need to provide a pasport ID page with your new name.
- The name and address of your first and any subsequent OPT employer(s). If you have more than one employer, you must report each employer's name and address
- The start date of your employment or the end date of your employment
- Any change in the employer's name or address
- The name and address of any new employer and the start date of your new employment
- Any period of unemployment, including those days between the end of one job and the start of the new job
- If you decide not to use OPT and depart the U.S. to return home or to a third country
- If you change to another nonimmigrant status in the U.S., such as H-1B, E-3, G-4, TN, etc. or obtain Permanent Resident status
You are responsible for making timely updates through this form and reminders will be sent periodically.
The Department of Homeland Security has issued a 36-page Policy Guidance 1004-03 - Update to Optional Practical Training for the F-1 OPT changes that became effective April 8, 2008. The updated Policy Guidance is available at http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/opt_policy_guidance_042010.pdf.